A thigh lift is the surgical removal of excess skin and fat from the upper legs. Patients can achieve slimmer, firmer thighs with this body contouring procedure. A thigh lift removes redundant skin and fat, tightens skin, and recontours the thighs.  At New York Surgical Arts, we offer patients effective, natural-looking results that enhance their figure and boost self-confidence. Headed by Board-Certified Cosmetic Surgeon Dr. Gordon Andan, we pride ourselves on giving patients a personalized experience and satisfying aesthetic results.
If you’re interested in learning more about restoring a youthful, optimized contour, then schedule a meeting with Dr. Andan at our offices in New York City or Garden City, NY. Make an online appointment or call (212) 535-1470 (New York City) or (516) 746-0155 (Garden City, NY).
- 1 About a Thigh Lift
- 2 Benefits
- 3 Ideal Candidates
- 4 Personal Consultation with Dr. Andan
- 5 Preparation
- 6 Procedure
- 7 Recovery
- 8 Results
- 9 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 10 How Much Does a Thigh Lift Cost in New York City?
- 11 References
About a Thigh Lift
Losing weight is a huge accomplishment. While challenging, the intensive process improves our overall health and aesthetics. Unfortunately, we may shed the extra pounds, but the skin that remains may not match our aesthetic expectations. After a weight loss journey, skin is often unable to retract entirely, and instead forms a sagging and cumbersome bulk.  Dr. Andan provides help to patients struggling with this condition with a customized thigh lift, or thighplasty procedure. Thigh lifts can be performed to target specific areas of the upper legs, and Dr. Andan will create a treatment plan that meets your needs.
Inner Thigh Lift
Excess tissue located on the inner thighs can make walking uncomfortable as the skin rubs and chafes. An inner thigh lift eliminates this irritation, allowing you to lead a more active life. This procedure can reduce the contours of this area from the inner side of the knee upwards to the groin. Dr. Andan will use an incision that follows the crease created by where the inner thigh meets the pubic area. For patients needing large amounts of excess skin removed, he may also make a narrow elliptical incision that extends vertically down the length of the inner thigh. These incisions will allow him to remove loose skin and fat, reducing the bulk and improving the tension of the skin for smoother contours.
Bilateral Thigh Lift
Bilateral thigh lifts are best suited to patients that are unhappy with the appearance of their outer thighs and the front of their legs. An incision that extends over the hips allows Dr. Andan to resolve these concerns. A bilateral thigh lift creates a smooth line from the hips down the thigh, as well as lifting excess skin that hangs over the front of the knee.
A thigh lift can provide patients with substantial, dramatic results, and all the advantages of a streamlined physique:
- Long-lasting improvements in upper thigh laxity
- Eliminates skin with stretch marks and cellulite
- Ability to enjoy a wider selection of clothing
- Better mobility and physical comfort
- More balanced proportions
- Improved self-confidence
Candidates choosing a thigh lift procedure are looking to dramatically improve their upper leg contours. Weight loss patients, in particular, will find profound benefits as it is one step closer to achieving a balanced body aesthetic. However, to be eligible, Dr. Andan recommends that prospective patients:
- Are good health, at a stable weight, and without serious underlying health issues
- Desire to remove loose, excess skin from the thigh area with surgery
- Are a non-smoker or are prepared to stop until the recovery stage is complete
- Are committed to maintaining results with a healthy lifestyle
- Have positive, surgically attainable aesthetic goals in mind
Personal Consultation with Dr. Andan
Patients come to Dr. Gordon Andan’s practice because he provides results that make a difference in their lives. At each stage of the treatment process, Dr. Andan and his staff will see that patients benefit from a personalized plan that will bring surefire results.
At the end of your consultation, Dr. Andan will give you detailed instructions on preparing for your surgical appointment. Be sure to follow them diligently in the weeks before your appointment.
- Smoking: You’ll need to stop smoking and any other nicotine use until you’re completely healed. Nicotine significantly alters blood flow and can complicate or prolong your recovery.
- Medications: Adjust your current medication intake as instructed. Medications such as aspirin, blood thinners, NSAIDs, and certain supplements may increase bleeding.
- Prescriptions: Go to your local pharmacy and fill the prescriptions ordered by Dr. Andan. You’ll need to have these on hand once you return home from your surgery.
- Transportation: Arrange for a ride home and a caregiver to stay with you after your surgery. Your mobility will be limited, and you will still be feeling the effects of the anesthesia.
Before your procedure begins, you’ll meet with Dr. Andan to review the details of your procedure. Dr. Andan will make markings on your thighs while you are standing to ensure that the surgery addresses any lax, hanging skin, and that areas of fat to be removed are indicated. Thigh lifts are performed under general anesthesia to ensure your comfort and safety. Dr. Andan will then begin the surgery, performing the lift technique in your treatment plan. Incisions will be placed to allow excess skin and fatty tissue to be excised. He may also choose to include liposuction for more defined contours.
After Dr. Andan has addressed every issue effectively and has completed your newly crafted aesthetic, he will suture the incisions closed. Surgical drains will be placed at the incision sites to allow for the removal of fluids and a compression garment will be placed to protect your results. You’ll be monitored until ready to be released to your designated caregiver. you are free to go home.
After a thigh lift procedure, patients experience post-surgical symptoms of discomfort, swelling, discoloration, and fatigue. However, the medication prescribed by Dr. Andan will help counterbalance these symptoms. Within 1-2 weeks, your symptoms will improve, and you’ll be able to resume light activity. During this time, you’ll return to Dr. Andan’s office for the removal of your surgical drains, and so that he can monitor your progress. After six weeks, you’ll be able to resume more strenuous activity.
In a few weeks, the final results of your thigh lift will come into view. You’ll notice an improvement in the shape of your thighs and texture of the skin, a slimmer lower body, and a sense of renewed body confidence. Your results are yours to keep! And, you’ll be able to enjoy your new physique for years as long as you remain committed to leading a healthy life with a balanced diet and regular exercise.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
New York Surgical Arts offers other body contouring procedures for patients looking to optimize other areas of the body. A thorough consultation with Dr. Andan will explore the other procedures that may help you to achieve your body goals.
An abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck procedure can provide profound revisions to the midsection, sculpting a firmer, more attractive-looking abdominal profile. This body contouring surgery removes excess skin while repairing abdominal muscles that may have become damaged during pregnancy.
VASER Hi-Def Lipo
VASER Hi-Def liposuction is a minimally invasive yet powerful treatment for patients looking to eliminate stubborn, unwanted fat deposits in the abdomen, flanks, thighs, and hips. The innovative technology combines high-frequency ultrasound energy and liposuction. Together, they help dislodge fat cells from underlying muscles and remove them permanently from the body. Once the desired effect is perfected, there will be a noticeable, refined difference in the treated area.
How Much Does a Thigh Lift Cost in New York City?
Your thigh lift will be tailored to address your unique concerns. The details of your treatment plan will determine the final cost of your thigh lift. All these concerns will be discussed in better detail at your consultation, and you’ll be given an accurate estimate for the price of your procedure. New York Surgical Arts is pleased to offer patients a selection of financing options.
- Chait, A., & den Hartigh, L. J. (2020). Adipose Tissue Distribution, Inflammation and Its Metabolic Consequences, Including Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 7. https://doi.org/10.3389/fcvm.2020.00022
- Gentile, P., Gigliotti, S., Colicchia, G., Pascali, M., Brinci, L., Cervelli, V., & Labardi, L. (2012). Medial thighplasty: Horizontal and vertical procedures after massive weight loss. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery, 5(1), 20. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2077.94330
- Kenkel, J. M., & Eaves, F. F. (2008). Medial Thigh Lift. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 122(2), 621–622. https://doi.org/10.1097/prs.0b013e318180405f